Our 1st successful match!
This is a transcript from our recent interview we did with our first successful match.
This is the official interview transcript between Lucas, Beatrice and Joshua.
Names: Lucas & Beatrice
- Ages: Lucas 33, Beatrice 23
- What type of disability do you have? Beatrice (learning disability and eccentric), Lucas (able to live independently but has challenges with reading and spelling)
- Have you had a girlfriend/boyfriend before, or is this your first relationship? Beatrice has had boyfriends before. “I was about 13/14 when I had my first boyfriend and had a couple of other relationships since then and having a break until Lucas came on”. Lucas – this is his first girlfriend. “Previously I didn’t have confidence to ask others out.I followed Beatrice around and then sat down and swapped cell phone numbers with each other.” Beatrice said “he saw a young flower when he looked at me.”
- Prior to Enabling Love what difficulties did you face when it came to meeting new people and dating? Beatrice - often described as quiet and shy initially following natural desires but now I am ready for a more serious relationship, also a bit of homebody; Lucas-lack of confidence at times in asking girls out
- Why did you decide to use Enabling Love? Beatrice: A programme on TV called the Undateables gave me some ideas and I wanted to give something like that a go and then heard about Enabling Love and decided to go to the launch. One of my vocational Mangers really encouraged me to go. Lucas: Thought I would it a go and when you got there you felt it was a safe environment
- How helpful was Enabling Love at helping you meet a partner? Beatrice: Very helpful because it improved my social opportunities to meet people and I had been on my own for a quite a while. Very few social opportunities and I felt a lack of confidence. Lucas: Very helpful in meeting Beatrice – felt like it was ok to follow her around because it was about relationships and a sense of acceptance and trust in the room.
- What was it that attracted you to one another? Lucas: going out in the weekend, equal relationship, get on well, good friends, pretty, friendly,. Beatrice: good sense of humour, funny, cool guy to hang out with and caring and safe with him.
- Did you have nerves on your first date? Beatrice: yes first date in a long time and Dad helped to calm you down. Lucas - can’t remember
- What did you do for your first date? Went out to lunch to Burger King and to the mall
- Has your confidence grown since meeting each other? Yes – a lot more relaxed
- What do you like to do in your spare time together? Go out for lunch, play bowls, movies, Beachlines Speedway, McDonalds, speed dating to support Enabling Love
- Where do you guys see yourself as a couple in the future? Early days will wait and see, step by step, wise not to rush
- What does Enabling Love need to do to support you as a couple? Keep running social events – like the bigger group and enjoy meeting others, helps me not be isolated and also because good for independence
- How do you think dating needs to be addressed when it comes to people with disabilities in NZ and around the world? People need to have confidence and have a positive outlook – you can do it!!!